Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thirsty Thursday: Coffee talk






Bullet proof coffee has been the big thing lately in the nutrition world, especially in the Paleo community. Of course I had to try it and see what all the hype was about. Since then this is how I’ve made my coffee every morning. It’s a great way to get more gelatin and coconut oil in your diet, two super foods. If you haven’t tried coconut oil and started to incorporate it into your diet yet you need to get on that! Coconut oil deserves its own post but I want to share some of the major benefits of this healthy fat. Coconut oil can actually burn fat in the body. Farmers began giving coconut oil to their cows in hope that they would put on more fat, but instead the cows all became extremely lean. The same thing happens in us. Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides that increase energy expenditure in the body. Coconut oil can also reduce your hunger. If I’m going to be working out first thing in the morning I drink my bulletproof as my pre work out and don’t need to eat until after my workout. 
Gelatin is also another one of my daily super foods. Since adding gelatin to my diet consistently over the past three months my nails and hair have grown so much. Gelatin is a great source of dietary collagen. Gelatin is great for skin, hair and nail growth and also great for joints in the body. I always recommend it to anyone who has arthritis. The standard American diet is limited in the two amino acids glycine and proline. Gelatin is a great source of both of these amino acids. These amino acids are anti-inflammatory, gut healing and help the body have optimal immune function, weight regulation, and help with sleep. I have other recipes that I plan to share on how to get more gelatin into your diet. This is my version of bullet proof coffee. I like using coconut oil but butter and ghee will work as well or a mixture of healthy fats. 







Ingredients:
10oz of hot brewed coffee
2 tbs grass-fed Great Lake's gelatin (only the green one will work in this recipe)
1 tbs coconut oil
stevia or maple syrup if needed

Directions:
1- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend for 30 seconds
2- Pour into a coffee cup and enjoy 

  
  Yours in Health & Happiness,
     
                                                             Lisa and Nichole

No comments:

Post a Comment