Sunday, August 10, 2014

Natural Beauty Post - How to Wash Your Hair Naturally



The skin is our largest organ and absorbs 60% of the chemicals in products that we apply topically directly into the blood stream. The makeup, shampoo, conditioner, moisterizer, shaving cream, hair gel, deodorant, and sunscreen all count! In nutrition we always say to look at the ingredients list on food, but do you do the same for products? I didn’t until I got into the nutrition field and started researching some of the chemicals that were in the products I was putting on my skin. Let me just tell you, it’s scary. My theory was if I wouldn’t eat that chemical then I should not be putting it on my skin. I started buying more organic natural beauty products with more natural ingredients and learning to make my own. Buying beauty products from Whole Foods and the health food store is not cheap so I stick with making my own for the most part.  Today I am going to share with you the method I use for washing my hair. I have had great results making my own shampoo and conditioner. 

Shampoo - 1/4 cup baking soda mixed with 1.5 cups warm water (I do this in the shower)
Pour baking soda mix over head, massage into scalp. Rise the baking soda out of your hair.
- Or 2 tablespoons honey mixed with 1.5 cups water. I switch between these two methods. What works better for you may depend on your hair type. 






Conditioner -
Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar plus 2 cups warm water
Pour mix over head and let sit for two minutes then rinse well
The vinegar smell will go away as your hair dries. You would think this technique would make your hair dry but it makes it shiny and super soft. I am down to washing my hair this way two times per week and have to do nothing in between. 



                                               Yours in Health & Happiness,
     
                                               Lisa and Nichole


No comments:

Post a Comment